Learn How you can get your Employment Pass
Singapore Employment Pass Overview
What is an Employment Pass?
The Singapore Employment Pass (EP) is a type of Singapore work pass / visa granted by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) to foreigners (professionals, managers, executives or directors), who wish to work legally in Singapore. Among all work passes, the employment pass (e pass) is the most versatile work pass that covers the biggest group of current foreign working professionals in Singapore (aside from work permit holders). Additionally, no work pass quota is required for this type of work pass but there are other new requirements implemented recently to ensure the fair consideration of locals before the hiring of foreigners on Employment Pass. Read further to learn more.
Key Features of Employment Pass(EP)
- The Employment Pass validity is typical 1 to 2 years and it can be renewed up to 3 years.
- This multiple journey entry visa that permits you to travel outside of the country without having to apply for an entry visa every time you leave Singapore.
- There is no Employment Pass levy or quota required. However, in some cases, when the number of EP holders in your sponsor company (the company that hired you) is more than 50%, the company needs to justify why locals were not offered the job.
- Processing Time: 3 – 8 weeks upon submission
- If your sponsor company is overseas-based (i.e, it does not have a Singapore registered company) and has a related or clients’ company in Singapore, you can apply for the Employment Pass under the “overseas sponsorship case.”
- If you are an entrepreneur seeking to invest and setup a new start-up business in Singapore, then the Entrepreneur (a.k.a. Entrepass) Pass is more suitable for you.
How to Qualify for Employment Pass?
- Must be sponsored by a well-established Singapore registered company. New companies must show proof of substantial business activities;
- Show proof that the employer has consider the hiring of local fairly under the fair-consideration framework (FCF);
- Applicant must meet the minimum fixed monthly salary of 4,500 SGD from 1st of September 2020 onwards. But for those with more experience, the minimum salary is higher;
- Applicant must have the relevant working experience and/or education qualification for the offered job;
- Those from the financial sector, the minimum fixed monthly salary will be raised to 5,000 SGD per month from 1st of December 2020 onwards;
- Employment Pass quota is not required but when the sponsor company has too many employment pass holder vs local employees, you are required to justify.
Above all, MOM may also reject you based on other reasons as the application is assessed holistically. As long as you have no genuine reason for hiring a foreigner, they have the right to reject your application. Learn more about the Latest Employment Pass Changes in 2021.
For those who do not have any company sponsor in Singapore, you can explore the Personalised Employment Pass. This is a self-sponsor work pass that does not need an employer but you must meet certain criteria to be eligible for the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP).
Fair Consideration Framework (FCF)
The Fair Consideration Framework (FCF) is implemented as a standard requirement to ensure that all employers in Singapore consider candidates fairly for job opportunities without showing any discrimination based on non-job-related elements like gender, age, nationality or race.
Employers must now advertise their job under the national job portal, jobsbank, for at least 28 days before they can proceed with the application for an employment pass or S-Pass.
Who are exempted from Advertising
All locally registered companies in Singapore must practice fair hiring unless they are exempted from the requirements.
You are exempted from advertising on MyCareersFuture if your company fulfills any of the following criteria:
- The total workforce in the company is less than 10 employees;
- The fixed monthly salary of the position is 20,000 SGD and above;
- The vacancy is short term and no longer than 1 month;
- The position is taken by a local transferee who is an existing employee of a Singapore company (related branch, subsidiary, or affiliate in Singapore);
- The position is filled up by an overseas intra-corporate transferee under the WTO in Services.
** Under the WTO GATS, the overseas employee must have worked in an overseas related company for at least 1 year and they must hold certain roles to be eligible for ICT.
Only companies with less than 10 employees or when the offered salary is higher than 20,000 SGD is exempted.
What are the documents I need for the application of an Employment Pass?
- Passport biodata;
- Duly completed employment pass application form 8 to be endorsed by sponsor company;
- Details description of business activities of the sponsor company and the product or service offered;
- Applicant’s job duties.
- A copy of the applicant’s latest resume;
- Testimonials from past employers
Beside the above documents, you may have to provide supplementary documents as proof of business activities or detail explanation on why you need the applicant.
Employment Pass Application & Processing time
To submit an Employment Pass application, you can either:
- Online Application: Register an Employment Pass Online account under a Singapore registered company or engage a third party visa agency to assist with your submission. Online application typical takes 3 weeks upon submission.
- Manual Application: Obtain the manual application form from MOM and attached all required documents to the form. This application can be submitted via singpost and processing time is 8 weeks. Also, if you are
We would strongly recommend Online application as manual application can lead to delays to your application and further complication when submitting additional documents.
Get professional help for your Employment Pass!
One Visa had helped thousands of professionals like you to move to Singapore. Sign up for a Free Assessment before you start applying for your Employment Pass.
Employment Pass Status
Typically, you can expect to get an update from MOM within 3 weeks upon your first submission of your application (except manual application). At this point of time, you may obtain a favourable outcome or MOM may send a request for additional support documents required further assess your case (In certain case, you may be rejected first). You will either receive an SMS or email notification on your e pass application status depending on what you had declared to MOM on the mode of communication.
In case you do not receive your Singapore employment pass application status within 3 weeks after submission, you may check your existing employment pass (e pass) status via MOM EP status check portal.
MOM Additional Documents Request
MOM additional documents request typically happens when your company is new or does not have enough financial in their records to proof that you have the revenue to sponsor a work pass holder. However, there can also be other reasons that are linked to the applicant’s credential like the applicant does not have the experience or qualification required for the work.
The first step is to analyse carefully on the list of documents that MOM are requesting for you to furnish. The documents provide to MOM must be strong enough to justify the hiring of foreigner to work in the company.
Appeal for Employment Pass (EP) Rejection
At this stage, you had probably submitted an application or an appeal for your employment pass application but your application is still rejected. There can be many reasons of rejection for an EP application but you should not be worry if you have a strong case. You can always appeal against a rejection if you have a strong reason on why the application should not be rejected.
You can submit your appeal on the EPOL portal via the employer or authorised third party agency like One Visa. You must submit your appeal within 3 months from the date of rejection. Therefore, you are given more than enough time to review the rejection reason(s) or seeking someone professional for advice before you submit all your required documents or justification letters. Do remember that you are only given 2 chances to appeal for a rejection so without the understanding of what the MOM officer wants, there is not point to waste your chance on an appeal. Always seek professional help if you are unsure of how to proceed with your appeal.
Passes for the family members of Employment Pass holder
As an employment pass holder, you are only allowed to sponsor your spouse, children and parents. Additionally, you must earn a monthly income of at least 6,000 SGD per month to be able to sponsor your dependant’s pass for your direct family members. Additional income is needed to sponsor your parents on Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP).
|Family Member Category||Type of Pass to apply for
|Married Spouse & Unmarried Children (including those that are legally adopted)||Dependant's Pass|
|Common-law spouse, unmarried handicapped children above 21 year-old & unmarried step-children below 21 year-old||Long Term Visit Pass
(Employment Pass holders must earn a minimum income of 12,000 SGD per month)
|Long Term Visit Pass
|Check ltvp status or DP||MOM Non Login portal|
Need help to Apply for Employment Pass?
We have helped thousands of professionals like you to move to Singapore. Contact us for a Free Assessment Today.
Overseas Sponsorship case for Employment Pass
Overseas sponsorship Employment Pass is suitable for those overseas companies (with no local presence) who are planning to send their employee as a consultant for a 1-2 years project to be attached to a local client company in Singapore. The salary will still be remunerated from the overseas company but the client company is responsible for sponsoring the employment pass. You must clearly define the relationship between your overseas company and the local company as well as the nature of work for the overseas consultant.
For this type of employment pass, you are only allowed to apply manually and it will take at least 8 – 12 weeks. So you must prepare well in advance if you are looking to apply for this type of employment pass.
Employment Pass Vs. Entrepass
Typically, Employment Passes are granted to those who are salaried employees. However, for those business owners, directors, or shareholders who do not meet the innovative requirements of Entrepass, they can apply for Employment Pass instead. See below for a detailed comparison between Employment Pass and Entrepass.
|Entrepass||Employment Pass (EP)|
|Company Requirements||Must be new company setup < 6 months||No requirement for how long the company has been established|
|Business Activities||A business plan is enough as proof of business||Need concrete business activities as proof of ongoing business|
|Salary Requirement||No salary required||Need to be paid a minimum monthly salary|
|Main Evaluation Criteria||Innovative business idea and the applicant’s business track record. A 10-page business plan is required. Check out our full list of Entrepass criteria.||Company sponsors business activities and applicant’s credentials (education, relevant working experience etc.). Check out our full list of criteria.|
|Renewal criteria||Need to meet certain business milestones for your renewal to be granted.||Your company must show proof of business activities for your renewal to be granted.|
|Processing Time||8 – 12 weeks||3 – 8 weeks|
|Dependant Pass Eligibility||Must achieve the business milestones set by MOM before you can apply for Dependant Passes for your family.||Must be making a minimum salary of 6,000 SGD per month before you can apply for Dependant Passes for your family. Check out our full list of Dependant's Pass Criteria.|
|Pass Validity||Issued for 12 months and can be renewed on a 12 month basis||Issued for 12 – 24 months and can be renewed for 24 to 36 months.|
Employment Pass Renewal
Typically, your employment pass is granted for 12 – 24 months and you are allowed to process your employment pass renewal 6 months prior to the expiry of your current work pass. However, the renewal of the EP is not guaranteed. The company sponsor will still be scrutinised on whether they have enough business activities to hire the existing EP holder. Therefore, it is always better to plan in advance on documentation required before you proceed with the renewal.
Important changes to notify MOM
There are certain changes that you should notify MOM. See below for details all the changes that you are required to update MOM:
- Reduction of salary for employment pass holder
- Update company’s name or paid-up capital
- Update company sales turnover
- Change in company address
- Transfer of existing work pass holder to related company
- If the work pass holder has gone missing
- Change in work pass holder’s residential address
- New details of the EP holder’s personal particular: Passport number, name or marital status, or new passport details
Cancellation of Employment Pass
The employer is given 7 days from the last day of work to cancel the employment pass of an EP holder when he/she is no longer working in the company. In the situation when the EP expires, you are given 1 days to cancel the pass. Only the employer or an employment agency can assist in the cancellation online.
For any cancellation of employment pass, the work pass holder will be given 30 days short term visit pass to arrange for his/her departure. Before the departure, it is the responsibility of applicant to seek tax clearance from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS). The employer must also settle all outstanding salary owed to EP holder.
Pathway to Singapore Permanent Residency
As an EP holder, you are eligible to apply for the Singapore PR but the Singapore Permanent Residency follows a different set of criteria. PR is assessed based on your contribution to Singapore as an individual, your family profile, and your ability to integrate into the Singapore culture. There is no fixed number of years that you have to stay to be eligible for SPR. If you are interested, you can view our Singapore PR SERVICE.
Key Updates for Employment Pass 2022 / 2023
From September 2022, there will be some minor changes to the Employment Pass criteria. These changes are mainly focusing on the raising qualifying salary of the Employment Pass Application. Read more about the Employment Pass changes for 2022.
From September 2023, there will be a major revamp of the Employment Pass criteria. This is when the new Employment Pass Complementarity Assessment Framework (COMPASS) kicks in. All applications will have to score 40 points to be eligible for the application for Employment Pass. Check out our Beginner’s guide to the New COMPASS Requirements here.
How Can One Visa Help in your Employment Pass?
We are the leading MOM licensed agency (EA No.: 10C2994) with over 10 years of expertise in Immigration. Through the years, we have successfully assisted over 10,000 business owners, entrepreneurs, investors and executives to move to Singapore. Our customised solutions have helped them secure over 90% success rate in their applications. Let us help you to navigate the Singapore Immigration System.
Need further guidance on Singapore Visas?
See below for all related topics:
4500 SGD per month